Thursday, March 8, 2012

Integration and Consolidation!


           Lately there has been a lot of news about rebranding and consolidation of products on Google. The first move of course was the creation of Google+. So far the goal has been to create a new Google that will merge all the features and services into one product Google+. This has already been taking place over the past few months as all the different pages across Google have been unified in layout and design and integrated into Google+. The next step was "Google Play" which completely rebranded the Android market as well as Google Music, Book, Movies, and other Google Products. Recently Punit Soni a product manager at Google said “By next year, we will not be here talking about Google+ Games, Chrome Web Store games, Games for Native Client and Android games,” he said. “We will be talking about Google games.” This leads me to believe that we will soon see those other services integrated into Google Play. We will then have two major parts of Google the Plus and the Play. The integration and consolidation can get even deeper though. I recently participated in a hangout with Hugo Bara, Director of Product Management at Google. I told him that I really thought that there wasn't a need to have Google+ Messenger, Google Talk, and Google Voice as separate services and that they should be integrated together into one service. His response made me happy. He said they are working on a solution to that problem and that it's something that I would really like. He didn't out right say they were doing what I suggested but to me that meant more then likely we will see a "Chat for Google" all in one smartphone and website app and possible chrome extension or a better solution. I always get excited to see where things are going and I hope eventually I'll be able to be one of the people to move it along.

Source: venturebeat

No comments: